Doubleback Books, a Sundress Publications imprint, is now open for submissions by authors of out-of-print books. At Doubleback Books, we believe that out of print should not mean out of mind. Although other publishers rescue works that have fallen into the public eye from obscurity, few reprint books from small, independent presses that have folded during the twenty-first century and (often through no fault of their own) left new, exciting books to go out of print before their time.
If you are the author of a book that has recently gone out of print because of a press closure, we want to read it. We are hosting an open reading period from March to May 2020. Authors of works that have gone out of print due to their original press folding may submit full-length or short books, including novels, novellas, chapbooks, short story collections, poetry collections, essay collections, and memoirs. Editors may also submit out-of-print manuscripts their presses published before closing. To be eligible, works must have been both published and out of print after the year 2000.
Accepted manuscripts will be released as free downloadable e-books on the Sundress Publications website. Previous titles include Hugh Behm-Steinberg’s The Opposite of Work, Colleen S Harris’ These Terrible Sacraments, and Virginia Chase Sutton’s What Brings You to Del Amo.
To submit, email the following to email@example.com:
- Your manuscript(s) in .PDF or .DOC format
- A brief cover letter in the body of the email telling us a little bit about your work and yourself and noting the genre of the manuscript
- The name of the manuscript’s original publisher
- The name and contact information of the publisher’s former editor-in-chief, if available
Please note: we do not republish translated work or previously self-published work.
Doubleback Books is an imprint of Sundress Publications. More information can be found here.
- The Wardrobe’s Best Dressed: Pretty to Think So by Samantha Edmonds - November 27, 2020
- The Wardrobe’s Best Dressed: Pretty to Think So by Samantha Edmonds - November 26, 2020
- Lyric Essentials: Emma Hine Reads Elizabeth Alexander - November 25, 2020